sftp not connecting

sftp not connecting

Postby jbaustert » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:32 pm

API call error, Authentication failed (username/password) (__CODE:LIBSSH2_ERROR_AUTHENTICATION_FAILED; __FUNC:sftp::GetSftpSession::libssh2_userauth_password)

Attempting to connect to a SLES10 SP4 server, username and password has been verified, and connecting with WinSCP from the same machine works without issue.

It appears that Allway Sync isn't actually trying to connect at all before throwing up the error message by looking at the logs on the server side. Also, this is the 64bit version on Win7 Ultimate if it matters. Any ideas?
jbaustert

Re: sftp not connecting

Postby john » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:26 am

Hi,

First of all, please re-check your login and password. Probably you misprinted them when configuring Allway Sync.

You may also try to download the latest build from here:
http://syncapp.com/tmp/syncapp-04-11-2011.zip

unzip it into the Allway Sync Bin directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Allway Sync\Bin\)
Best Regards,
John,
Allway Sync Team.
john

Postby jbaustert » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:00 am

john wrote:First of all, please re-check your login and password. Probably you misprinted them when configuring Allway Sync.

You may also try to download the latest build from here:
http://syncapp.com/tmp/syncapp-04-11-2011.zip

unzip it into the Allway Sync Bin directory (Usually C:\Program Files\Allway Sync\Bin\)

Login and password checked and re-checked... I'm guessing the dll file provided there doesn't work with the 64bit version. What I've found is if I enter an incorrect username, I immediately get an error message in the server log. Using the correct username gives nothing back in the server log, so I'm guessing Allway Sync is getting lost somewhere between the login and password, and errors out without attempting to actually send the password.
jbaustert

Postby john » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:08 am

Yes, the dll i provided is for 32 bit version.

Could you install 32-bit version from our website and then replace syncapp.dll with the latest build?

i'm asking because we have fixed similar issue recently and probably the latest dll will resolve your problem too.
Best Regards,
John,
Allway Sync Team.
john

Postby jbaustert » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:41 pm

john wrote:Yes, the dll i provided is for 32 bit version.

Could you install 32-bit version from our website and then replace syncapp.dll with the latest build?

i'm asking because we have fixed similar issue recently and probably the latest dll will resolve your problem too.

I've done this process and I'm still seeing the same problem as mentioned above. If the username is correct, I don't believe the password is actually being sent to the remote system before Allway Sync shows error message.
jbaustert

Postby john » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 am

Unfortunately, we are unable reproduce this issue on our test servers. But we investigating this issue. If you could create a test account for us, this would be very helpful.
Best Regards,
John,
Allway Sync Team.
john

Postby jwl » Mon May 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Hello,

I've got exactly the same problem in my setup.
Client OS: Windows 7 64bit, SP1
Server OS: Linux OpenSUSE 11.3

UserID and password have been checked over and over. Logins from client to server with other clients (WinSCP, SFTP, PUTTY) are working without any problem.

Regards

jwl
jwl

Postby Halifax » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hello,

I also have exactely the same problem.

client: Win7 home premium 64bit
server: Linux openSUSE 11.1

Allway Sync Version: 11.3.0 Pro

putty, WinSCP and FileZilla do not have any problem to connect to my server via sftp.

I would be pleased if this error could be fixed in near future. :)
Halifax

Postby john » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:38 am

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce this issue in our test environment.

If someone could create a test account for us to be able to reproduce and fix this issue, this would be great.
Best Regards,
John,
Allway Sync Team.
john

Postby john » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:29 am

We have identified the root of this problem.

As you probably know, there are number of authentication methods supported by sftp:

- password
- public-key
- keyboard-interactive

Allway Sync supports the first two of them.

Sometimes sftp server is configured to allow only keyboard-interactive or public-key authentication and when you are trying to use password-based authentication, it fails with the error posted above.

You need to use supported authentication methods or reconfigure your sftp server accordingly.
Best Regards,
John,
Allway Sync Team.
john

Postby Halifax » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:09 am

john wrote:We have identified the root of this problem.

As you probably know, there are number of authentication methods supported by sftp:

- password
- public-key
- keyboard-interactive

Allway Sync supports the first two of them.

Sometimes sftp server is configured to allow only keyboard-interactive or public-key authentication and when you are trying to use password-based authentication, it fails with the error posted above.

You need to use supported authentication methods or reconfigure your sftp server accordingly.

Works now, thanks. :)
Halifax

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 pm

john wrote:We have identified the root of this problem.

Actually, I didn't know. :lol: Thank you for figuring this out, all is working now.

Return to General Discussion